[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Official Philadelphia Bell and Friends Website • View topic - RIP: Claude Watts

RIP: Claude Watts

Remembering teammates who have passed on.
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:40 pm
WEEKLY PRESS RELEASE: October 08, 2001
American Football Association - Sarasota, Florida -www.AmericanFootballAssn.com
Contact: Dave Burch 941-388-3510 or (e-mail)amerfoot@aol.com (or) usafoot@aol.com

AFA NATIONAL ASSOCIATION MOURNS THE PASSING OF CLAUDE WATTS - AN
AFA HALL OF FAME CHARTER MEMBER.

The AFA national association was informed recently that one of our Hall of Fame Charter
Members passed away on September 15th. Claude Watts was an icon in minor league
football long before the word was invented. Those who played with Watts in Harrisburg
PA, and against him, will remember his strong and graceful running ability as he racked
up 9,109 career yards on his way to scoring 111 career touchdowns.

Claude Watts played from 1963 through 1975 and was one of three players to be
inducted into the AFAs Minor Pro Football Hall of Fame as a 'charter member. The other
two players who were inducted with Watts were Cliff Boyd (Delevan, Wisconsin) and Tom
Averell (Pittsburgh). Also enshrined in the AFAs first class of inductees in 1981 (pioneer
category) were Arthur S. Arkush (founder of Pro Football Weekly Newspaper and an
ardent supporter of minor league/semi-pro football in the 60s and 70s), Joe Swetish
(Racine, Wisconsin) as an executive and Ron Waller (Maryland) who coached the famed
Pottstown Firebirds. (visit our website for photos, click press release)

We send our sincerest condolences to the Watts family. Be assured that Claudes
accomplishments on the football field will be remembered forever in our record books and
through our HOF alumni brothers.

The American Football Association brings together young and old footballers alike, and is
known as the place where Minor League/Semi-Pro Football Legends Live . . . Forever!

Of the 365 people who have been inducted into the AFA Hall of Fame over the past 21
years, forty-one are now deceased but our memories of them, and their accomplishments
on our level of the sport, will live on - through those who perpetuate the AFA Hall of Fame
activities year after year.

Note: I have memories (nightmares?) of playing against the Chambersburg Cardinals of
the Seaboard Football League in 1973 while playing for the Triple Cities Jets of
Binghamton, New York. I can tell you that I had the opportunity of facing off against Mr.
Watts on several plays during that game; he made me a believer! I was humbled when he
asked my coach, Hank Diller, who I was after the game. I'll never forget the fun we had
"talking trash" with him and John Land, during the post game celebration.

That next year, Claude went on to play with the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football
League where he was one of the leading rushers in that league, along with teammate
John Land..
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:01 pm
Wow. I was really disappointed to hear this. I was hoping Claude would be at the reunion. Well, he will be there, I know it.

I always figured the guy was a few years older than he was. He loved football. Just loved it. You could tell by the big smile on his face after he'd rumbled for a bunch of extra yards.

I think he knew the WFL was his apex, and he ade the absolute best of it. He was a super guy with a positive perspective on everything.

I am honored to have been Claudes teammate.
Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings.
-George Will

Return to In Memorial